Opportunity for 16-30rs - Bass Festival Creative Commission
BASS Festival, Punch Records and mac birmingham are offering a £2,000 commission for one young creative to respond creatively to an iconic image by the internationally renowned photographer Vanley Burke.
Whatever your creative discipline, whether you’re a visual artist, musician, producer, dancer, fashion designer or a DJ, we want you to produce a new, exciting piece of work that responds to Vanley Burke’s famous image of 1980s Birmingham.
Birmingham-based photographer Vanley Burke is one of the best known documenters of black Britain; his work will be the subject of a major exhibition at mac birmingham in autumn 2012.
BASS Festival (British Arts and Street Sounds) is the UK’s only month long celebration of black music and art, with a line up that includes gigs, exhibitions, masterclasses, showcases, club nights, theatre, seminar and film.
To apply, all you need is:
• A brief, 400-word proposal, describing how you’d respond creatively to Vanley Burke’s image and how you’d make that project happen.
• An explanation of how your commission responds to the Vanley Burke image.
• A short biography including your personal details, experience and links to your work.
• Information on your role in the project and any other creatives you’d be working with.
• A basic budget outline giving an idea of how you will manage your finances.
The judges will favour entries that address urban or black forms of expression or content.
The successful applicant will be selected by a panel including Vanley Burke and representatives from Punch Records and mac birmingham. Your completed commission will be presented at mac birmingham during the BASS Festival in June 2012.
This brief will close on Monday 27 February at 5pm and is open to IdeasTap members aged 16 to 30. If you have any technical queries, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Late entries will not be accepted under any circumstances, including technical issues – so make sure you don’t leave your application to the last minute.